Saturday, January 29, 2011

Boot binding interface?


My first post on this forum, hope to get some answers

I have new custom bindings from burton. Very nice, good quality, but i've got a problem with my imperium boots when I put them in. When I press the heel down, flat on the surface of the binding, i can't seem to line the back of the booth with the back of the binding, there is always a gap in the middle of the back between boot and binding.
I can also press the boot close to the back of the binding, without the gap, but then I have a gap between the heel of the boot and the surface of the binding ...
I never realy noticed this, until now when i bought new boots and I was about to adjust the bindings to these boots.

So should the boots align the heelback or the baseplate? Or both?

Thanks for any help!


 Hi Matthias,

In answer to your questions.

Firstly, yes your boot should be flat to the binding and set right to the back of the heel cup, against the high back/spoiler.

I don’t know the boot model you have but if there is a gap there it could be a couple of things.

If you have a lot of forward lean on your spoiler then this might leave a gap in the heel cup. 

I use a lot of forward lean and close the gap by putting my toe down first on the toe plate and pushing my heel tightly into the heel cup of the binding. This is easiest done standing up with the board resting angled on its heel edge.

If its not forward lean then the boot could be too wide for the binding. If this is the case you could try shaving some of the width off the sole of the boot?

I’d have thought however that if you tighten your heel strap enough, it will pull the boot back into the heel cup and sort out the problem. 

Your heel strap wants to be super tight, if it can’t go tight enough to pull the boot back then shorten the strap with the adjustment. If this leaves it too long, which can be the case on the large Burton bindings, get yourself some medium heel straps.

A couple of other adjustments you should consider for this problem.

Move the heel strap a little higher over your instep/ankle by moving the heel strap attachment point to the higher hole on the inside of the binding.

Rotate the high back inline with the edge of the board, this will increase the amount of room in the heel cup a little.

At the end of the day, tightening the heel strap fully should get rid of this problem.

Hope this helps?

Neil.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment