Monday, October 10, 2011

Snowboard boots or Ski Randonee boots for touring?

Hiya Neil, 

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice? Have you ever used ski touring / randonee boots for snowboarding, as they're so much more versatile than snowboard boots? Any advice would be gratefully received. 
Best regards, 
Dan.

Hi Dan,

For me the beauty of Snowboarding is the feeling you get when riding down the mountain, so any touring I do on my board is primarily about trying to keep the compromise of equipment to a minimum and the feeling of the ride to a maximum.

With the set up I use now, splitboard specific bindings, customised and set up specifically to suit the performance I need and a Jones Solution Splitboard, I feel I have found a pretty good system that works both up and down the mountain. 

I have never felt the need for a stiffer ski randonne style boot. On steep traverses, if necessary, I use a couteau/crampon on my splitboard and occasionaly I'll take a more Splitboard specific/friendly route than that used by ski tourers but boot wise I find Snowboard boots much more comfortable and as versatile as Ski boots. 

Off your board, on steep terrain you'll probably be using a boot specific crampon whether in ski boots of snowboard boots and if its too steep or icy for snowboard boots then I'd probably be already questioning the conditions and suitability with regards the descent or looking for an alternative ascent but you can climb some pretty steep terrain with crampons on snowboard boots.

I've never felt compromised in my snowboard boots (and I ski tour too!) and prefer to be in them rather than ski touring boots. 

If you're looking for a compromise you should have a look at the new Deelux Spark touring specific Snowboardboot which has a vibram sole!

Some people do splitboard in ski touring boots but personally its not what I'm looking for out of a day out touring in the Backcountry, which is a great days hiking and riding!.

Hope this helps?

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment