Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Split boarding question.

Hi Neil,

I'm beginning to get excited about the winter again and just checking through my kit and deciding where to spend my money pre-season.

I have a few questions for you regarding split-boarding, I had some issues using the skis for side hilling and ascending steep slopes, particularly on ice (spring in the Alps) and deep powder (canadian rockies).

I am using my ride contrabands at the moment but am thinking of getting some Spark RD bindings.

My first question is, do you think SB specific bindings will significantly help the weight distributon on the ski making these parts of the ascent easier?

My DC boots are fairly heavy, and are too wide for crampons. I found in the alps that I was often forced to take the skis off and kick steps on the hard morning snow as I was constantly slipping back. In some situations the lack of crampons was quite scary.

I have considered buying harchisen (sp??) for the skis but i was wondering if riding with mountaineering boots (i currently have scarpa freneys), or buying a new, lighter and narrower pair of boots that would take pons would be a better solution.

I have riden with mountain boots before and as long as the bindings are set well i find going down fine, although certainly less responsive than when wearing proper boots) basically, would you consider bindings or boots to be more crucial in split-board mountaineering?


Hi Ecky,

The Spark R&D bindings or Split specific bindings will make a difference as they are pinned to the width of the whole binding and straight to the ski when split rather than the narrow raised mount that is common with using a normal binding.

They’ll also improve the performance on descent too!

On steeper ascents and icy terrain you'll always have difficulty with sliding on a split board due to the width of the ski (when the board is split) this is the same when touring with wide skis.

With the split board you sometimes have to take a different different line than the normal skinning trail that ski tourers might take and harchisen are essential.

Even ski touring skis will slip in icy conditions with out harchisen (crampons). Spark r&d make a Split board specific harchisen which works specifically with their binding.

The 2 go hand in hand, I'd never suggest touring with out harchisen especially here in the Alps.

With regards you question about boot specific crampons, Grivel make a wide full strap crampon that works with very wide snowboard boots.

I personally use an Alloy crampon for Snow and easy Ice scrambling such as the one made by Camp.

I'd not recommend an Alloy crampon for use on hard ice or rock and ice but for snow its makes for a lightweight option.

Again I'd never be with out a pair of regular crampons when out touring in the Alps.

I'm not a big fan of riding in mountaineering boots. I'm hiking up for the big descent and so wouldn't want to compromise the ride down for the sake of the ascent.

I'd say, check out the wide Grivel crampons to see if they'll work with your boots. I think they should.

Definitely get your self some Spark r&d Split specific bindings and harchisen.

Don't always follow the regular ski touring line of ascent, if you can see a better more suitable way break a new trail.

Hope this helps,

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment