Thursday, December 9, 2010

Climbing/touring harness?

Hi Neil,

Quick question if I may.

I'm thinking of purchasing a ski touring harness for this season (and in particular for the split-board touring couse with yourself in March) and wondered if you had any recommendations?

Is something like the 'Black Diamond Alpine Bod' harness sufficient? It seems a fairly close match to the type of harness I've borrowed from you in the past:

Or is it worth splashing out on something super-lightweight like the Arc'teryx A300a? (although the difference between the two is seemingly only about 100g ... which is probably less than the weight of chocolate and energy bars I'll carry! :-) 

As ever I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks, 

Richard

 
Hi Rich,

The alpine BOD is a great mountaineering and touring harness, easy to get on and off with out stepping through leg loops etc so good with crampons etc. For steep climbing it lacks the comfort and precision of a climbing specific harness and is as you mentioned slightly heavier due to the material it is made from and can get wetter than a more synthetic harness on the plus side, it is however very durable.


It also takes up slightly more room in your pack than one of the super light harness’s available now.

I use the BD bod most of the time and have these for clients as they are adjustable and super easy to get on and off. The BD Bod, now comes with a waist loop for easy clipping.

If you need a harness for climbing as well as touring or are looking for something light weight have a look at the Petzl  Sama or something like that. 


Light weight, thicker leg loops for comfort, a great climbing harness, not specific for touring etc but works for everything. It’s a step through harness but you only have to really do this in the morning and when you’re done so no bother. It has elasticated leg loops as opposed to adjustable ones normally found on a mountaineering harness, but this is fine. If I'm mountaineering in the summer I'll use this type of harness as it is lighter and more stashable.

Petzl also have some good mountaineerig specific harness's which are more durable if this is what you're after.

The Arc’teryx range are also top end so it depends what you need it for and how much you want to spend.

Hope this helps!

If you have any further questions let me know.

Neil.




 

1 comment:

  1. My first post on this forum, hope to get some answers :)

    I have new custom bindings from burton. Very nice, good quality, but i've got a problem with my imperium boots when I put them in. When I press the heel down, flat on the surface of the binding, i can't seem to line the back of the booth with the back of the binding, there is always a gap in the middle of the back between boot and binding.
    I can also press the boot close to the back of the binding, without the gap, but then I have a gap between the heel of the boot and the surface of the binding ...
    I never realy noticed this, until now when i bought new boots and I was about to adjust the bindings to these boots.

    So should the boots align the heelback or the baseplate? Or both?

    Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete