Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Flagship or Hovercraft?

Hey Neil,

I hope you're well.

I have been following your adventures this season through your facebook updates. Seems like you've had a great season so far!

Neil, I was wondering if you have any advice on getting a new board for piste and freeriding? I have my eyes on the end of the season sale to potentially get a Jones Flagship or a Hovercraft.

I have seen your very positive feedback on the Hovercraft, but surely it doesn't hanlde as well as the Flagship on piste or hard-packed icy snow, does it?

Thanks a lot Neil,

Hopefully see you next year!

Xavier


Hi Xavier,

The Hovercraft is a great carving and piste board as well as an amazing powder board but it can't be ridden switch so isn't quite as versatile as the Flagship. The Flagship is the best freeride board I've ridden, the Hovercraft is probably the most fun board I've ridden. It's a difficult choice, either get them both or just the flagship!

Neil.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Neil,

    I'm also quite interested in this question. I've had my first board (a Rome Flag 163) a while now and I'm looking for an upgrade. Really want to focus on slack country riding and carving the pistes on the not so fresh days. Most of all I want to really enjoy the powder when I'm lucky enough.

    Really like the idea of the Hovercraft for its powder performance but don't want to sell myself short for the other 80% of the time. I notice that the only negative point you raise above is the issue riding switch which isn't a big deal for me. Other than that, do you think the Hovercraft versatile enough or should I sacrifice a bit of powder performance and go for the all round freeride ability of the flagship?

    Cheers,

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      there is no real compromise in riding powder between the flagship and the hovercraft. The Hover craft can be ridden in a smaller size and so can be more manouverable for the same degree of floatation. If I had to pick one board for life though it would be the Flagship...no doubt about it!

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. That's just the advice I was after cheers. One final question, I'm 6'4" 95kgs and with big feet, so was thinking the 168w but seems like such a huge board, do you think I'd benefit from the extra length? Thanks, James

      Delete
  2. I ride the 168W at 6'2" and 86kg, its a great board, super stable at speed and easy to ride. Go for it, the 163W will feel small.

    ReplyDelete