Friday, November 18, 2011

Splitboard bindings?

I've ordered a Solution splitboard from TSA and wondered if you could recommend buying Karakoram bindings from America or the Spark bindings.

Cheers,

Darren. 


Hi Darren,

I've not yet tried the Karakoram bindings but have heard good reviews for them and will get a set to try before to long and so will know more then. They look well made and Jeremy Jones now uses them and really rates them so I'm sure they're pretty good. I am interested to see how the stance options work for wide stances and big feet (centering the bindings etc.) but until I get a set and play around with them I'll not be able to comment. I have heard that the Karakoram bindings help to stiffen the board so this might be a plus point that could sway your decision.


The Spark bindings from last year were a step in the right direction but the high backs where too soft and the straps were low quality. This season they have improved both these points and so you get a good binding that works on the Voile mounting system, once you get this set up to your stance and dialled in then you get a good system that works well. I have ordered Salomon high backs for all the Spark bindings that I have from last year as they fit really well and really improve the binding. I'll probably get new straps too, but the binding works well and I had no issues with them last season. I dialled mine in with Cartel highbacks and straps and they worked very well.


At the end of the day its up to you, both obviously work so its a matter of costs and availability. Until I try the Karakoram bindings I can't really say any more!


Sorry I can't be more decisive for you!

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment