Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jones Snowboard question.

I was hoping Neil could advise me regarding my board.  In short, I am wondering whether or not I ought to buy a dedicated freeriding board to get the most out of this course: 

My current board is only one year old, so I am not in a hurry to buy a new one.  However, if it Neil thinks I will learn more and have more fun on a different board, I will consider getting a new one (in that case I may take up the Jones Flagship special offer.

Current board: Lib Tech Skunk Ape 161, Wide, symmetrical twin tip, reverse camber, Magnetraction. I weigh about 95 kg, am 1m89 tall, and have pretty huge feet

I have used this board off-piste quite a lot last year and it went well, but I did notice I needed quite some steepness and speed to “float” (plus, of course, that the centered stance was quite hard work for my rear leg in the powder.

My key question:  In terms of maximizing how much I advance my skills (and fun!) during the course (and not be wallowing in the powder where the slopes are less steep), do you think I should get a larger, directional powder board without the full reverse camber?   And if so, would the Jones Flagship 168W be large enough for someone of my weight?


Hi Alex,

I have tried to answer your questions below concerning your board dilema.

I think however, you’ve pretty much answered it for your self.

You’re 95kg and 1m89 with big feet and you’re riding a 161?

Personally with these dimensions I’d recommend the minimum board length 164 and better still 166.

Board length does depend a lot on the flex of the board but with your height I’d say you need to be riding a pretty wide stance which will take up quite a lot of the board length leaving very little board to ride at the tip and tail on a 161. This you might get away with jibbing about on the piste and in the park but for general riding and for Off Piste riding you’re always going to be working to balance and keep the board floating on the top.

I’m pretty similar in stats to you and will be riding the 168W flagship. The turn initiation on the flag ship rides like a smaller board so its easy to use, yet the longer edge has the stability of a big freeride board once the board is carving. Forget about back leg burn, this board lives to float. All we need then is plenty of powder!

You will get away with riding your current board but will progress a lot more on a bigger board (in my opinion). It basically comes down to how much you’re going to ride, what sort of riding you want to do and can you afford a new board (or can you afford not to get one?).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Look forward to riding with you soon.

Neil.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neil, I did a few BC courses with you 2002/03 but am more of a 'holiday' rider nowadays. I wanted your advice on Jones snowboard. I am 90kg size 10uk (salomon F20) so is it a wide board for me (not sure on JONES size specs). Mountain Twin looks good to me as I dont think i need the extra lenghth like flagship as my BC riding is limited....thanks

    ReplyDelete