Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Airbag backpacks. Yes or No?

Hi Neil,

I've been looking at kit for this season and something that keeps nagging at me is why I haven't yet looked seriously at an airbag system. There's an awful lot of comment on the internet  and it looks like ABS and Snowpulse systems both have their merits, however the real decision seems to be buy one of the bags rather than than which system.

Do you have any thoughts on the use of airbags? If i remember correctly you have an ABS bag, but I don't think you ride with it all the time.

Cheers,
Liam

Hi Liam,

I got to the point where I was thinking that I should have an airbag
system, the only thing stopping me was the price. At the end of the day it
could be a life saving piece of equipment so the cost is kind of
irrelevant!

I had lots of reasons for getting one and none against so it wasn't really
an issue in the end. I thought, if I'm thinking about getting one, then I
should just get one. The day you're out there and happy to have it on will
make it well worth it avalanche or no avalanche.

At the end of the day, I still take all the precautions that I'd take when
riding with out it. I plan on never needing it, but its kind of nice to
know its there.

Whether they work or not in the time of need, who knows? But its one more
thing that might put the odds in your favour and that's all I need to know.

I don't ride with mine all the time, they're pretty heavy for daily use
but if there's any kind of avalanche risk then it's my first choice pack
for sure.

Snow pulse seems to be a good system with the airbags coming up around
your neck. They are also now starting to have well designed zip on volumes
for their base rig.

ABS is tried and tested and I prefer the handle on the ABS system.

Both work on the same principle so look at both and see which you prefer.

If you're asking me this question then you should just get one!

Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment